News website from Central India-Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh
Free, Fair and Fearless

'Policemen responsible for custodial death must be charged with murder, prosecuted, dismissed'

Share this story on :
Suhail Khan  Custodial death  Custodial Torture  Murder  Narcotics Wing  Madhya Pradesh  Rajasthan  Pratapgarh  Mandsaur




BHOPAL: The fact-finding team that was formed to look into the custodial death of a youth in Mandsaur, visited the town and met the victim's kin to find out the circumstances that led to the death.

Suhail Khan, 20, had died in custody of Narcotics wing of the police. The team said that this was a clear case of murder. Such serious violation of human rights, can't be ignored and in view of the situation, the policemen responsible should be dismissed—that there should be prosecution and the policemen must be charged with murder case.

Besides, the family should  be given financial assistance--Rs 50 lakh, and they must be given security, the team said. The fact-finding team visited Mandsaur, after it got reports about Suhail Khan's death in custody on April 2.

In view of the seriousness of the case, the team members visited Mandsaur on April 5. They met local residents, journalists, social workers and tried to meet the police officials but said that they could just speak to him over phone. They also met the deceased's brother Murad Khan, uncle and brother-in-law, apart from other local residents.

NCRHO's Vasid Khan, MP Loktantrik Adhikar Manch's Vijay Kumar and Muslim Mahasabha state secretary Yusuf Khan were part of it. They said that as per the kin, there were injury marks on entire body including the private parts. He was brutally beaten and th is caused the hart attack that resulted in the death. 

Suhail was arrested and kept in police custody where he had died in mysterious circumstances earlier this month. It was claimed that he was carrying 90 gram drug. However, the family members said that he implicated. Suhail hailed from Pratapgarh (Rajasthan) and was taken away on the pretext of questioning. Family said that when he didn't return, they went to look for him and were told that he was arrested.

The youth was assaulted and kin were allegedly told to pay Rs 50 lakh for his release. Later, the police called them and said that he was having difficulty in breathing. When family members reached hospital, they found him dead and there were injury marks all over his body. MP Human Rights Commission has also taken cognisance of the incident.